Friday, February 6, 2009

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

TITLE: The Hunger Games By Suzanne Collins

BARNES AND NOBLE SUMMARY
In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her district in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before-and survival.

MY TAKE
This book was amazing. I stayed away from it when it was mentioned on Stephenie Meyers Blog. I picked it up and read the jacket at the local wal mart and still did not commit to reading. Then I was browsing the local library YA section (come on, everyone needs a bit of YA) and there it was again. Taking it as a sign from the great literary gods I put the book in the stack and went to check out. It was not the first I read and I was not expecting a whole lot when I did get around to cracking it open. Let me tell you, WOW. I was sucked in immediately by the fact that although this book is aimed at the young adult audience the themes and principles are dark even for adults. It reminded me a bit of Sinclairs The Jungle mixed with Romeo and Juliet. It was good. I highly reccomend this to anyone. Parents beware though, I would be hesitant to put this book in the hands of a child younger than thirteen. Not for the content itself but for the concept of just what the hunger games are. Curious? Good.


READING TIME:: 3 days (374 pages)
RATING: 5/5 stars (and I may just have to buy this one!)

No comments:

Post a Comment